- Selena Gomez released a new song called “Lose You to Love Me” at midnight on Tuesday.
- The emotional breakup song includes lyrics like: “I gave my all and they all know it / You turned me down and now it’s showing / In two months you replaced us / Like it was easy.”
- Fans are convinced the song is about her split from Justin Bieber in 2018 just two months before he began dating Hailey Baldwin, now his wife.
- Gomez and Bieber had dated on and off since early 2011.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Selena Gomez just dropped a new song called “Lose You to Love Me,” and fans think they’ve decoded it.
The emotional breakup song, released at midnight on Tuesday, includes lyrics like: “I gave my all and they all know it / You turned me down and now it’s showing / In two months you replaced us / Like it was easy.”
Fans are convinced the song is about her most recent split from Justin Bieber in 2018, which reportedly went down just two months before he began dating Hailey Bieber (née Baldwin).
—BA🦋 (@BrookeAnne_15) October 23, 2019
Before the Biebers tied the knot, Gomez and Bieber had dated on and off since early 2011.
They apparently got back together in November 2017 but called it quits for the last time in March 2018. By June, Bieber and his new girlfriend had become the king and queen of PDA.
—bombasticl0ve (@bombasticl0ve) October 23, 2019
“We’d always go into it blindly / I needed to lose you to find me,” Gomez sings in her new song, seeming to hint at an on-and-off relationship that has since ended.
“This dancing was killing me softly / I needed to hate you to love me.”
Fans think the lyric about dancing is connected to her 2013 song “Love Will Remember,” which Gomez confirmed was written about her first breakup with Bieber. In the bridge, she sings, “Somewhere in forever, we’ll dance again.”
—shivangi (@fucksrevival) October 23, 2019
—ً (@mariesheaven) October 23, 2019
—Mags | #LoseYouToLoveMe (@selmilasnature) October 23, 2019
She also appears to reference Bieber’s most recent album “Purpose,” which included at least three songs he wrote about Gomez.
“Set fire to my purpose / And I let it burn,” she sings.
—BAILEY GRAVITT (@baileygravitt) October 23, 2019
—igig ✨ (@igiglim) October 23, 2019
It’s unusual for an artist to drop a new song in the middle of the week — songs are typically released on Fridays to maximize their performance on Billboard charts. But as some fans have pointed out, Gomez’s decision to release the song on October 23 may have significance.
Gomez and Bieber first sparked speculation of a reunion on October 23, 2017, when Bieber’s car was photographed at her home.
—𝓖𝓵𝓮𝓷𝓷𝓪 𝓡𝓸𝓼𝓮 | #SG2 (@enavirus) October 23, 2019
Gomez said the song was inspired by “many things that have happened in my life since releasing my last album,” as reported by E! News. Gomez released her second studio album, “Revival,” in 2015.
“I thought it was important to share the music, as I know many can relate to the fact that the road to self-discovery generally comes through the scars in one’s life,” Gomez said. “I want people to feel hope and to know you will come out the other side stronger and a better version of yourself.”
The 27-year-old singer cowrote the song with Julia Michaels, Justin Tranter, Mattias Larsson, and Robin Fredriksson, E! News said.
Watch the music video for “Lose You to Love Me” below.
- Read more:
- A complete timeline of Justin Bieber’s dating life before he suddenly became engaged to Hailey Baldwin
- Hailey Baldwin and Justin Bieber’s wedding photographer shared never-before-seen photos giving a glimpse inside their reception
- 32 photos that show how Selena Gomez’s red carpet style has evolved through the years
- 37 photos that show how Justin Bieber’s style has evolved through the years